What is the i-LEAD Research Day?
To start 2021, i-LEAD is organising a Research Day. This one-day event complements the Industry Day that took place in October 2020.
Research Day is organised in association with the Europol Innovation Lab. During the one-day session, i-LEAD provides a space for research initiatives, researchers and Industry to deliver presentations, of approximately 1 hour, directly to security practitioners and procurement specialists from European law enforcement agencies (LEAs).
The topics stem from the workshops facilitated by the UK Home Office during the i-LEAD project.
During the gatherings, i-LEAD identified several reoccurring requirements that popped up, regardless of the workshop domain. They were often worded differently depending on the subject, but the root of the requirement spawned from the same requests:
- To speed up processes / operations / investigations using artificial intelligence (AI) or machine learning – supported by workflow automation.
- To decrypt the communications between criminals, allowing officers to gain awareness of the interactions and intentions of organized crime.
- New techniques and approaches to gain access to encrypted data stored on hardware devices.
The goal of the first Research Day is to assess opportunities for improving activities by integrating AI and decryption technologies into investigations and operations. Consequently, Researchers, Academics and Businesses are invited to explain how their work could enhance policing activities related to any, or all of the following domains:
- Drug Crime
- Financial Investigations & Crypto-currencies
- Public Order
- Crime Scene Recording & Documentation
- Digital Forensics
AI, machine learning and decryption are truly horizontal matters, and we encourage any related entities to submit their ideas on how concepts and prototypes (not ready made solutions – TRL 6 or below ) that are on the horizon could be exploited to improve policing capabilities in Europe. The goal of the meeting is to foster cooperation, supporting ongoing dialogue between LEAs and the research market. –
How the event will work
The Research projects, technology concepts and ideas will present their work directly to LEAs and members of Industry. An opportunity for dialogue and dedicated Q&A will accompany the session with the goal of covering the most pertinent topics.
What Areas interest i-LEAD?
Although crime areas differ in practicality, many of the technologies that could help support Law Enforcement and improve the fight against criminals are cross-sectional. This is especially true regarding Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning and Decryption Technologies. Thus, concepts and solutions that supplement other technologies or can integrate with tools are a key focus area in 2021.
The possibilities for presentations are not limited. The project team welcomes any suggestions connected to AI and Decryption. The following list highlights topics that have been raised during workshops, but it is by no means exhaustive.
- Speeding up video and photo analysis
- Completing Semantic analysis of content (written, video, audio)
- Predictive situational analysis
- Automated contextualisation analysis for extracted data
- Automated programme searches, to speed up manual searches of online content and/or extracted data
- Securing AI technologies
- Explainable and/or court proof AI
- AI for mobile technology/field operations
- Decrypting application data on mobile phones
- Extracting encrypted data from physical data storage on digital devices
- Password Cracking
- Decrypting data associated with financial transactions (identifiers)
- Decrypting short message application data
- Post-quantum cryptography